Christopher Wong from Young Urban Farmers youngurbanfarmers.com teaches how to choose the right container for your garden. Surface area and depth should be considered when choosing a planter taking into account the growth requirements of what you are choosing to plant there. Some of the containers available and their characteristics include the following:
- Terracotta pots are relatively affordable and easy to find
- A Cedar barrel is a highly recommended wood planter as it is weather resistant and has beneficial natural oils.
- Self-watering planters have built-in reservoirs of water to keep the soil moist for minimal upkeep
- Balconera’s are easy to handle and have built in reservoir and liners
- Earth box planters should be UV stabilized and frost-resistant
All planters should have good drainage and once you factor in the colour and style you are looking for, you should be ready to choose the right container for your new garden!